Authorization to do Credit Reports
Process to be Authorized to do Credit Reports
The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) has a strict rules on who can perform credit checks. The law regulates credit reporting and ensures that only licensed business entities with a specific, legitimate purpose can check your credit without written permission.
SBRPA uses the company ” Trendsource” to verify the above information. Trendsource charges you a one-time fee of $59 for inspection.
- Inspection takes around 30 minutes and is usually done in 1-2 days. You can set up an appointment online at https://siteinspections.trendsource.com/Login.aspx?source=SBRPA. For an additional $15 you can call TrendSource (619-718-7467) and set the appointment by phone. [NOTE: as of January 2021 there will be a 3% fee for credit card users].
- Sign and send to SBRPA the completed TENANT SCREENING SERVICE AGREEMENT & LETTER OF INTENT. Tell SBRPA whether you want to do regular credit and eviction reports ($40 for both), or whether you want to also add a criminal report ($50 for all 3). Fair Housing Law requires that you must order the same type of credit report for all your applicants.
- After the inspection, Trendsource notifies SBRPA to activate your account with the credit reporting company, CIC. SBRPA provides you with a Trendsource ID to use on the website:
- To run a credit report, you must have a social security number, DOB, address and first and last name. Simply login and begin entering your applicant’s information EXACTLY as shown on the online form. Click here for an excel form that shows what applicant information you will require.
- Last Name. If an applicant has multiple names or a hyphenated name, do not use spaces, run the name all together.
- First Name
- Middle Initial (or if none available, mark “No Middle Name”)
- Suffix (If Applicable)
- Reference # or Name (optional info, for your own internal record-keeping, such as which apt. building the application pertains to.)
- Complete Social Security Number (no dashes or spaces)
- DOB using dashes, 02-02-1978. Not 02/02/1978.
- Driver’s License & Issuing State
- Current Address (DO NOT ABBREVIATE Street, Avenue, Boulevard, Court etc.)
- ONLY COMPLETE FIELDS UP TO CURRENT ADDRESS, NO OTHER INFORMATION IS REQUIRED.
- Click “Verify” and wait until the name in red becomes blue. At that point you are able to double click the report and print. If the applicant name that you just entered does not appear for some reason, click on “Archived reports” at the top of the page and you should be able to pull it from there.
LEGAL NOTE: You can NOT do a credit report on yourself or a family member.
As of 06/13/2023, the cost for reports are:
$40 Credit & Eviction Report
$50 Credit, Eviction & Criminal Report